Saturday, July 17, 2010

Did God Make Me This Way For His Own Entertainment?

I often grow irritated by my own weirdness.

In my better moments (I'm due for one soon), I can laugh at myself. I'm usually not the only one laughing. Often, I know God is laughing, too. But, I wonder if God created me with my little quirks and idiosyncrocies with the intent of being entertained by them, or if biology and psychology created them independent of His design.

I don't mind a bit if God did make me a little "off" just so He could have some fun with me. If anyone needs a little humor in His day, it's my Daddy. God's God-ness does not make Him immune to feeling the pain of everything He has to see every day. And God certainly is the Creator of laughter. He knew we needed it and I'm thinking He needs it, too.

In my better moments (I said I'm ready now, Lord), my weirdness is funny to me, too.

I'm not talking about Big Weird, I'm talking about little weirdnesses that seem to be unique to me, or at least, to my DNA chain.

For instance:

I've been wishing I had ceiling fans in my apartment, to cut down on my AC use and save a little money. If I had a ceiling fan, I'd leave the sliding door open more often so I could have fresh air. Yesterday, I remarked to myself that in FL, every apartment seemed to have ceiling fans. I decided that if I choose to move, I want an apartment that has ceiling fans. As I sat down to write this blog, I noticed the ceiling fan above my dining room table. I've lived here for two years. God had a yuk, surely. I just feel, well, like I always feel when these things happen.

My quirks (what my doctor calls disorders) sometimes get in the way of my addictions (what my doctor calls addictions). Last night, my dishwasher overflowed again. I didn't notice until I went into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and my feet hit the water. Up I go onto my tippy toes because I can't handle water on the floor (disorder). But, I need my coffee (addiction). Normal people would go put on a pair of shoes. I tippy-toed in place several minutes. I grew more and more disturbed by the water on the floor and the "things" from the floor that were now in the water waiting to pounce under my feet. My need for the coffee was intensified by both my increased stress level and the fact that the coffee was within sight yet unattainable. I finally sucked it up and tippy-toed in a weaving, water-avoiding but very indirect path to the coffeemaker. Then I tippy-toed back, not easy with a cup of coffee and extra long yoga pants.

Additionally, I forgot all about the water until I went to get another cup of coffee an hour later. Again, normal people would go put some shoes on or even reach for the mop. I repeated the above process.

Okay, Lord, have your fun. But please count my weirdness as part of my Christian service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!